Book review: Karma Girl by Jennifer Estep


Carmen Cole is a character after my own heart. It seems I have a knack for picking up books where the main character is a reporter. I live that life. I get it. I know what it's like to go through the ups and downs of reporting.

In Karma Girl (Book 1 of the Bigtime Superheroes series) written by Jennifer Estep, Carmen Cole is an investigative reporter whose sole mission is to uncover as many superheroes and ubervillians and she possibly could. But it didn't always start that way. Cole became obsesses with this mission on her wedding day when she discovered her fiance and best friend in bed together. To make it worse, they were the town of Beginnings superhero and ubervillian.

Cole had her revenge by pasting their photos on the front of the local paper. She worked her way to bigger newspapers doing the same thing until she found herself in Bigtime, one of the biggest cities in the country with the deadliest ubervillians and hunkiest superheroes.

If it sounds a little goofy, that's because it is, but not in a bad way.

Estep has a good time with the book poking fun at old comics and superhero stories: everyone has the same initials as their first and last names, bombs use an agent called Explodium and radioactivity can be good for you.

The good guys want to save the world while the bad guys want to rule it.

Some of the reviews I read about Karma Girl called it predictable at times, which it might be as well. But, again, it's not something that bothered me.

I wasn't surprised when the big reveals occurred because I figured them out on my own, however, I did like getting confirmation on what I already thought.

Estep does a great job with description. She puts the characters in rooms and allows readers to fully see everything with their imagination.

I also enjoyed the Cole's inner dialogue. Estep writes it in a way that many women can relate to. She feels frustrations, anger, remorse, lust. All the things we probably go through in a 24-hour span.

The book really is a lot of fun.

You can buy the book on Smashwords, Barnes & Noble and Amazon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review: Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson

Getting another chance after publication

Book review: Game 7: Deadball