Welcome to Words by Sooz


For the last 18 months, I haven’t been able to stop reading everything I could on self-publishing with eBooks, writers and the sites that promote them. It has become such a unique industry full of strengths and benefits to writers and readers.

In 2012, I vowed to become a bigger support of eBooks, specifically by self-publishers. I intend to read more self-published items – but not forgetting to pick up some of my favorite mainstream writers – and I’m going to use this blog to give reviews and highlight some of my favorite self-publishers.

I will give tips I learn along the way and general thoughts – sometimes about sports, other times about life, but mostly about books.

But it’s not enough to simply pump out novels or short stories for people to read. Self-publishing comes with its unique issues that sometimes are ignored or writers simply don’t have the tools to handle.

I don’t want to read a story and click on four stars because I’m proud of the work someone has done. Finishing a story is accomplishment, but we should work together on ensuring the pieces are of high quality.

Being a journalist for more than a decade has taught me the keys to self-editing, and we’re not just talking about grammar and proper spelling. You learn how to find what is missing, if passages need to be moved to have a better effect, structure and pacing.

These are all important.

And if writers don’t know how to do it, I want to help.

Self-publishing is a fun and exciting venture. It takes a lot of bravery for someone to put their writing out there, especially when you have put your heart and soul into a piece. It’s almost as though someone is reading you, digging deep into the depths of what has made you into the person and writer you are. You left it all out there for them.

I’ve edited articles, novels, blogs, even greeting cards. If you’re interested in my services, shoot me an email.

In the meantime, let’s read some books and get to know each other better.

Comments

  1. I may take you up on your offer at some point this year (if I finally stop being a chicken shit)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got two books for Christmas ... Crush It and The Thank You Economy, both by Gary Vaynerchuk. Check them out. Maybe be something to blog about and something to help this blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book review: Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson

Getting another chance after publication

Book review: Game 7: Deadball