Book review: The Falconer by Elizabeth May

The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)The Falconer by Elizabeth May
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I’ve read a lot of books lately that have included fae: Throne of Glass sequel, Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices series) and now The Falconer.

The Falconer was the worst of the bunch. I didn’t dislike it, but I certainly didn’t love it.

Unfortunately, when I put the book down, I felt annoyed. Even though I know it’s a trilogy, I expected there to be some kind of resolution in part of the story line before I would have to move on to the next book – much like the Throne of Glass series.

That’s not the case and The Falconer ends with a cliffhanger that seems to stop right in the middle of an important scene.

I was excited when I first started the book. There were some good elemnents. I noticed the steampunk themes and hoped there would be a bit more exploration into that, but instead there were just a few mentions of some devices used in the world. And Aileana is supposed to be an inventor, but the tools aren’t on display very often.

The writing was good, and I did enjoy how May put the story together. But it’s not a good thing when you put down a book and say out loud, “Well, that was annoying.” That was me.

Not sure I will continue with the series. I’ll put the rest of it in a ‘maybe’ pile.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review: Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson

Getting another chance after publication

Helping a friend with a book